Brooklyn Historical Society, Brooklyn, NY
Muslims in Brooklyn Oral History Project Coordinator, Nov 2017 – present
Conducted research, community outreach, and interviews. Provided general project management and administrative support for the oral history work, as well as associated programs.
New York Preservation Archive Project, New York, NY
Oral History Program Manager, June 2015 – present
Managed all aspects of the Archive Project’s oral history initiatives to document the efforts of historic preservationists in New York City. Drafted grant applications and budgets for oral history projects. Researched historic sites, recruited participants, conducted interviews. Hired and oversaw the work of a contractors, interns, and volunteers. Organized and updated the archive of over a hundred oral histories, in keeping with current standards and best practices.
Saving Preservation Stories: Diversity & the Outer Boroughs, June 2015 – present
Through the Legal Lens: Interviews With Lawyers Who Shaped NYC’s Landmarks Law, Nov 2015 – Dec 2017
Oral History & Preservation, Jan 2016 – Oct 2016: Wrote and designed an accessible guide to introduce preservationists to oral history methods.
Online Oral History Archive Re-Design, Jan 2016 – May 2016: Collaborated with design firm to develop an interactive online archive of oral histories.
Columbia Center for Oral History Research, New York, NY
Wrote and designed oral history transcription style guide. Trained and oversaw the work of transcript editors. Conducted background research to prepare interviewers. Processed interview transcriptions to be housed at the Columbia Oral History Archive.
CCOHR Oral History Transcription Style Guide, Oct 2016 – present
Harriman Institute Oral History, June 2016 – July 2017
Atlantic Philanthropies Oral History, Sept 2015 – July 2017
LGBTQ Columbia University Oral History, Nov 2016 – March 2017
Robert Rauschenberg Oral History, Jan 2016 – Aug 2016
Institute for Research on Women, Gender and Sexuality Oral History, Sept 2014 – Aug 2015: Conducted audio editing as well as transcript processing. Designed online archive of audio and transcript selections: www.irwgsoralhistory.org
NYPD Guardians Oral History Project, New York, NY
Oral Historian, Project Manager, Nov 2014 – Oct 2016
Conducted interviews – as well as background research and outreach – with retired members of the Guardians Association, a fraternal organization of black police. Oral Histories and associated documents are available via the Columbia Oral History Archive and Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
StoryCorps, Brooklyn, NY
Staff Summit, Self Care Workshops, June 2016
Designed and led two two-hour workshops for Story Booth Managers and Facilitators on adapting to mental and emotional stresses of interviewing.
BC Voices Inc., New York, NY
Class of 1971 Oral History, Sept 2015 – Feb 2016
Processed interview transcriptions to be housed in the Barnard College Archives. Coordinated with project interviewees to oversee review and final approval of all transcripts.
Voice of the Witness, New York, NY
Oral History Book, May 2015 – Sept 2015
Conducted background research, wrote interview synopses, and organized interview metadata for the managing editor.
Wild Blue Books
Family History Book – May 2015 – Nov 2015
Designed layout of text and photographs for client’s family history book.
Family History Book – May 2013 – Nov 2013
Wrote a cohesive narrative from eighteen oral history interviews with members of the client’s family. The finished book was a collection of stories spanning four generations.
Washington Department of Commerce, Olympia, WA
Ending Family Homelessness Story Project – July 2013 – Dec 2013
Collected stories from families transitioning out of homelessness. Composed written narratives based on those interviews, which were then used by the state of Washington Department of Commerce for program evaluation, grant writing, and staff training.
The New England Historic and Genealogical Society, Boston, MA
Family History Books, Sept 2012 – August 2013
Transcribed audio recordings of interviews for multiple family history projects.
Northwest Health Foundation, Portland, OR
Your Story Matters Project, July – Sept 2012
Designed and led five two-and-a-half-hour workshops for representatives from over forty Portland area non-profit organizations. Provided follow-up individual coaching to help participants prepare to tell their stories on video.
Story Event Videos and Follow-up Workshops Feb – May 2012
Created three videos for online use from interviews conducted at a local conference.
University of Arizona Steward Observatory, Tucson, AZ
Strittmatter Years Book Project, April – May 2012
Produced book commemorating the achievements of the University of Arizona Astronomy Department. Conducted interviews with twelve key members of the faculty and staff. Wrote a cohesive forty-year history of the department from their narratives. Completed design and layout for the finished book.
Lisa Kagan Designs, Portland, OR
Family History Book, Aug-Sept 2011
Digitally restored a hundred damaged photographs for inclusion in a family history book.
- ” Shifting Focus: Interviewers Respond to the Stresses of Oral History Work,” with Stephen Sloan, Curtis Austin. Oral History Association Annual Meeting, 2017
- “Preserving New York: Education & Public Engagement,” with Melanie Shorin, Michael Ryan, Janet Butler Munch. Oral History in the Mid-Atlantic Region Annual Conference, 2017
- “Capturing Our Stories: Workshop on Oral History & the Preservation Movement,” New York Statewide Preservation Conference, 2017
- “Oral History in the Open: confronting the risks of giving personal stories to the public,” with Kiera Anderson, Sarah Loose, Phil Napoli. Oral History Association Annual Meeting, 2016
- “Learning from the Past 50 Years: Capturing Preservation Narratives to Inspire the Future,” with Matthew Coody. New York Statewide Preservation Conference, 2016
- “The Dangers of Interviewing and What to Do About Them,” Columbia Oral History MA Alumni Workshop Series, 2016
- “Historic Preservation and Oral History,” with Matthew Coody, Anthony Wood. Brooklyn College History Department, The Public and the Past, 2016
- “Revealing Resilience: Workers’ Narratives of Life and Labor,” with Nathan Katzin, Adam Donald Kenneth King, Dena Scher, Gerald Zahavi. Oral History Association Annual Meeting, 2015
- “Encountering Trauma: Self Care for Oral Historians,” with Helen Gibb, Phil Napoli. Oral History in the Mid-Atlantic Region Annual Conference, 2015
- “Building Self-awareness in the Interview Setting,” with Helen Gibb. Brooklyn College History Department, Colloquium in Social History: Special Focus Oral History Theory and Practice, 2015